by James Belardo
You want beans? Well we got some seriously spicy Boston-Style Baked Beans here! The slightly smokey flavor from the bacon married with the smoky paprika in Zio’s Smoky rub are perfect. The hint of sweetness and a good level of heat can’t help but make you want more. Tempter the intensity of the heat by adjusting the amount of spice and you’re good to go. Most recipes call for ketchup, and that’s all fine and dandy, but our’s kicks it up a notch by using our own Zio’s Homemade Ketchup. Trust us on this one.
2 or 3 cans Navy Beans (Yankee beans) or red kidney* beans – drained (but not rinsed)
1/2 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1/2 green pepper, chopped
1/2 red pepper, chopped
3/4 cup bacon, pancetta or pork belly
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/8-1/4 cup Zio’s Smoky Rub
1/4 cup molasses
1 cup ketchup (use Zio’s Homemade Ketchup)
1 tbsp olive oil
1 or 2 bay leaves
* you can also use pinto, white kidney or small red beans.
1. Preheat oven to 275F.
2. On the stove: In a large dutch oven, fry the cut bacon in 1 tbsp of olive oil until browned sufficiently.
3. Add the onions and garlic, sauté until the onions begin to turn translucent
4 add the green and red peppers, cook until they soften, in about 5 minutes.
5. Add the baked beans, mix carefully without ‘breaking’ any beans.
6. Fold in the ketchup and let come to a simmer
7. Add the brown sugar, spices, bay leaves and molasses
8. Let come to a simmer, cover and remove from stove. Place in pre-heated oven and let bake for about 45 minutes.
The Grape Gourmet
• health • wellness • culture • flavor •