Insalata di Ceci
by James Belardo
This simple salad is a wonderful celebration of summer especially when you add garden fresh ceci (chickpeas).
1 cup ceci, chickpeas, garbanzo beans (fresh is best but canned work well too – rinse and drain)
1/2 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
1 green onion or some chives
1/2 cup carrot, diced
1/2 cup celery, diced
1 small cucumber (1/2 cup, diced)
small handful chopped flat-leaf parsley
white balsamic vinegar (or white wine vinegar)
Salt and Pepper to taste
If you’re fortunate enough to have fresh ceci, in the pods… Here’s a simple method of prepping those fresh ceci,
1. Remove the pods from the bush, rinse and drain.
2. Place pods in pot, fill with water and bring to a boil.
2. Once the chickpeas come to a boil, remove, drain and toss into ice water for a few minutes (to cool down).
4. Once the pods are cool enough to handle, pop open the pods and remove ceci.
1. Toss the chickpeas, carrots, celery, cucumber, green onion (chives), flat-leaf parsley and cherry tomatoes together with the olive oil, white balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper.
The Grape Gourmet
• health • wellness • culture • flavor •
a Mo’zArt Production