Linguini with Shrimp and Black Olives
Linguine con Gamberetti e Olive Nere
by James Belardo
Here’s a wonderful pasta dish that begins life as a simple ‘Aglio e Olio’ but grows into something rather special by adding a few simple ingredients.
2 or 3 cloves garlic
1 1/2 cup medium sized shrimp (thawed/fresh – deveined)
1/2 – 3/4 cup Italian black olives (infornate preferred) hand-pitted
1/4 cup capers
3/4 – 1 cup Cherry Tomatoes (halved or quartered)
Basil – fresh
Flat Leaf Parsley – fresh
1 cup White wine (Pinot Grigio preferred)
Lemon Juice (freshly squeezed)
Peperoncino Fiocchi (hot pepper flakes)
salt and Pepper
Italian-style seasoned breadcrumbs
Linguine, fettuccine or Spaghettini
1. While cooking the pasta, preheat 3 tablespoons of Extra-Virgin Olive oil in a saucepan with minced anchovies.
2. Sauté the garlic until it begins to brown, then toss in the fresh (deveined) or thawed frozen shrimp (precooked can be used).
4. After a few minutes, add 3/4 cup of white wine and let it come to a simmer.
5. Add the olives and capers and let simmer for a few more minutes.
6. Add the freshly lemon juice and let simmer for a couple of minutes before adding the sliced cherry tomatoes.
7. Let simmer until the tomatoes begin to break down.
8. Add remaining wine and one spoonful of ‘pasta’ water before adding the liguine (al dente).
9. Toss in fresh chopped flat-leaf parsley before serving.
10. Top with Italian-style seasoned breadcrumbs
The Grape Gourmet
• health • wellness • culture • flavor •