Sugo di Pomodoro con Funghi
Tomato Sauce with Mushrooms
by James Belardo
This basic tomato sauce featuring Cremini mushrooms is one of the easiest ways to celebrate Italian cuisine. This Primo course dish can be part of the ideal full Italian meal or used as a full meal itself. Our take uses white wine and freshly squeezed lemon juice.
1 28 oz. can hand crushed San Marzano tomatoes or use 3-4 pints cherry tomatoes
1/2 lb. pancetta, cut into small cubes
2 cups sliced cremini mushrooms
2 cloves garlic
1 cup white wine (pinot grigio)
3 tbsp olive oil
1/2 lemon (juice)
2 bay leaves
salt and pepper
fresh grated Pecorino Romano, Parmegiano or Ricotta Salata
1. In a medium sized dutch oven, fry the pancetta in 2 tbsp olive oil until golden brown.
2. add the onions, garlic, and (optional) peroncino (hot pepper flakes) and cook until onions show signs of transparency.
3. add the cremini mushrooms and let cook for about 10 minutes or until they begin to soften.
4. Add the white wine and let come to a boil.
5. Add the hand-crushed tomatoes (or the fresh cherry tomatoes), let come to a boil
6. Add the bay leaves, Salt and pepper (to taste)
7. Add fresh basil (or frozen)
8. Add the lemon juice
9. Simmer for at least 30 minutes or more!
Top with fresh grated Pecorino Romano, Parmegiano or Ricotta Salata