Chicken with Lemon and Mint
by James Belardo
A great summertime recipe that uses something that grows in great abundance in our backyard, mint! I created this recipe while recalling my childhood in Brooklyn. A friends mother made this amazing chicken on the BBQ. This recipe is taken directly from my memory. A salute to my friend Sal and his mother Theresa! SALUTE! Obviously I prefer to BBQ this but it can also be cooked in the oven.
Fresh Mint leaves
1 teaspoon Salt
1/8 teaspoon Coarse Ground Pepper
1 tablespoon Olive Oil
1 tablespoon Butter
1 tablespoon Lemon Juice
white wine (pinot grigio)
Peperoncino Fiocchi (hot pepper flakes) (optional)
1. Marinate chicken for up to 3 hours in olive oil, white wine and lemon juice (add lemon juice during last hour of marinade)
2. Remove chicken from marinade; season with crushed garlic (or garlic powder), Peperoncino Fiocchi (hot pepper flakes), fresh mint, salt and black pepper
3. BBQ on low heat (around 200F-250F) basting with some of the left over marinade (with cut up mint) occasionally.
4. Squeeze a bit of fresh lemon juice and a bit of olive oil before and serving.
The Grape Gourmet
• health • wellness • culture • flavor •