by James Belardo
4 hard boiled eggs, unshelled & chilled
2 eggs, beaten
1/8 cup milk
1/2 cup Italian-style Seasoned Bread Crumbs
1 lb. ground pork
1 teaspoon Salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly Ground Black Pepper
1 teaspoon Fennel Seeds.
Tomato Sauce for Scotch Eggs
1 28 oz. can plum tomatoes, hand crushed
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 clove Garlic
1/2 onion, chopped
1/4 teaspoon dried basil
1/8 teaspoon dried oregano
1/8 teaspoon Fennel Seeds
Dash of Tabasco Sauce (optional)
Directions (Tomato Sauce)
1. Heat Olive Oil in small sauce pan and sauté onion and garlic until just becoming translucent (do not brown).
2. Add hand crushed tomatoes and bring up to simmer.
3. Add Basil, Oregano, Fennel Seeds and the dash of Tabasco Sauce.
4. Cook on low heat for approximately 15-20 minutes.
1. Boil Eggs ahead of time and chill in fridge.
2. In a large bowl, add Ground Pork, Salt, Pepper, and Fennel Seeds. Mix well and divide into quarters.
3. Dredge the hard boiled eggs with flour and then ‘wrap each Egg with one of the separated Ground Pork mixture.
4. In a shallow bowl, beat the 2 eggs and milk. Coat the ground-pork covered eggs in a bit of flour, coat with egg mixture and finally cover with the Bread Crumbs.
5. Bake in preheated oven at 325F degrees for about 45-minutes to an hour or until evenly browned.
6. Serve with Tomato Sauce drizzled on top. Garnish with fresh flat-leaf parsley.
The Grape Gourmet
• health • wellness • culture • flavor •